Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called “tweets”. The company gained a growth initially from 400,000 tweets posted per quarter in 2007, and then grew up to 100 million tweets posted per quarter in 2008. As of March 2011, that was about 140 million tweets posted daily. Twitter is the third-highest-ranking social networking site in January 2009 and the counting is huge in number in present scenario.
Now that we know what twitter is and its basics the next phase that comes is how to craft a strong profile in order to make a long number of audience following your profile. This makes us focus on how to find the right followers for our profile. Doing so is not a difficult task because we don’t have to know the person, alike on Facebook of other social media where we must be known to other person in order to interact with them. It’s a simple process of making your profile and letting people follow you and engage with the activities you update.
The social media market is changing continuously, and has no secret to it. In early days Myspace was the most popular online networking site, but in the blink of time it shifted its focus from Myspace to Facebook, and now Instagram and Twitter. These days twitter has a great boom in the market and is quickly becoming key competitors for social media users. In this rapid change of time in social media market, it doesn’t depend on what are you targeting for but what depend is the age group you target to improve your business for.
Researches shows that the number of people using Twitter has an age group of 17-37. Compared to the rural areas the city dwellers are more use to social media sites. An approximate number of 36% of users are active on Twitter compared to the other social media sites.
For targeting the audience to your profile only tweeting won’t do miracles, your conversations and engaging them in all your activities will do so. Having a direct or indirect (private) chatting communication will help you to raise the number of followers. Using ‘@’ to directly communicate with the peoples and having a discussion on your post according to the recent update will make people view your profile to a great extent.
A number of effective strategies can be used that will help you to reach the target audience. It will help you to improve the ratio of people following you. Taking care of some key points can help you a lot in context with audience targeting.
- Define the target audience: who are you targeting to attract? And what is the target age-group? Focusing on these things will help generating great results. These days an age group of 17-39 age are more active online. So taking this key point in mind one can target its audience and improve the number of followers.
- Influential users: the influential users are those having a huge list of followers, particularly those who belong in the target group described previously. The influence of these users will help bring in more relevant users to your company. If you can get these influencers to tag or follow you on Twitter profile, there is a great chance to stabilize your reputation and improve your whole status.
- Relevant content: You can easily reach the target audience by updating unique and original content that is not available elsewhere. Try to post important news and updates and get the right and accurate information from safe and reliable sources. Regularly tweet in order to stay active and updated.
- Hashtags: You can gain thousands of new followers that will strengthen your position in the market if you create a successful hashtag. Make it easy to recognize and talk about relevant topics only.
- Tags and retweet: Get recognized by various users by tagging and retweeting related posts. Invite people for activities you update and hashtags. You can also tag and retweet posts or run online competitions which will spark the interest of the target market. Be quick to respond to posts and questions and give them accurate and content-rich details each time. Don’t forget to post fun and interesting tweets once in a while to show more personality.
- Do the Research: You might have a general idea before tweeting of which words people use when talking about your product, but do you know which of those terms are used most often? Research on the keywords will help generating some great results. Making the search more useful and profitable in order to obtain the exact result of the search.
Targeting these will help popularizing your profile among the users. These ways of developing your target audience with Twitter can be repeated every time you need, changing the details attached to it and the settings until we have a profile that’s both interested and engaged.